Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Umberto D (1952)

Vittorio De Sica's story of a retired man who tries to get along as his meager pension has reached a point were it will not pay for his basic needs. As an animal lover (I bet you never would have guess if I hadn't come out and said it), I identify with the relationship the title character has with his dog, a terrier named Flike. His pride is not enough to keep his landlady from wanting to kick him out of the room that he rents especially since she has plans for it that exclude a renter. As

SPOILER ALERT: Not sure I really need to say this for a movie made in 1952, but i guess if you haven't seen it yet...

Show me a movie that has a dog that dies for any reason and I am a blubbering blob (I was a mess at the end of "My Dog Skip" and have not seen "Marley and Me" for the same reason). The sentiment does not usually transfer to snarling guard dogs or your basic demon hounds from hell. I actually stopped the movie when it became apparent to me that the dog was going to meet his end. Short of the last 5 minutes, I figured the movie was seen and could be stricken from the list. Imagine my surprise as I looked it up in Wikipedia to refresh my memory for a few details, and I found out the old man and the dog lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment